Creating and Running an Agile Project in JIRA
JIRA Software is an agile project management tool that supports any agile methodology, be it scrum, Kanban, or your own unique flavor. From agile boards to reports, you can plan, track, and manage all your agile software development projects from a single tool. JIRA Software brings the power of the agile methodology to Atlassian’s JIRA Software.
With this course, you will dive straight into the action, exploring critical agile terminologies and concepts in the context of JIRA Software. You will learn how to plan, track, and release great software. This course will teach you how to choose a workflow, set issue types and assign permissions.You will learn to stay connected with your team from anywhere to ensure great development.You will also be able to use JIRA Dashboards to broadcast your project results to all stakeholders so everyone is aligned.
By the end of this course, you will have developed a great working knowledge of JIRA Software, thus making your project management much more efficient.
About the Author
David Harned is a PMO Director for Monotype and is a motivated and inspired leader of Agile thinkers, driving adoption within enterprises that have numerous parallel-distributed, highly autonomous, and self-organized teams. He is a design, usability, and customer experience advocate. He has managed developer group building in the e-commerce retail business. David is an Agile believer and uses Scrum, Kanban, and Lean as well as hybrid approaches for project management. David is an expert in the implementation of Scrum at scale using standards and tools for process and visibility across the enterprise.
David holds many certifications in the project management and Agile domains including: PMI Project Management Professional, Digital Project Manager, Certified ScrumMaster, Certified Scrum Product Owner, PMI Agile Certified Practitioner, Certified Scrum Professional, and as Certified Scrum @ Scale Practitioner. David has used JIRA since 2005 and he uses it nearly every day to execute projects with Agile teams.
David is a husband and the father of two amazing kids. He loves cars, motorcycles, and craft beer. You’ll find him on summer days either in the garage or out for a drive.
What Is JIRA?
This video provides an overview of the entire course.
This video will give a small introduction to JIRA and also start by showing how to use projects to keep you work organised.
- Get a small introduction to JIRA
- Learn how to use projects to keep your work organized
This video will show how to create an account with Atlassian.
- Create an account
- Get a free trial
- Start using JIRA
Projects allow you to organize all of your different streams of work within JIRA. This video will show you how to create your project and manage them as well.
- Create a project
- View your projects
- Manage your projects
Screens, workflows, permissions, and notifications give you many options to tailor JIRA to your work. This video will deal with just that.
- Learn what screens are and how to configure them
- Learn what workflows are and how to configure them
- Learn what permissions are and how to configure them
Managing All of Those Work Items
This video will show how to use epics, stories, bugs, and tasks in JIRA.
- Learn the different issue types
- Learn how they are different from each other
- Learn why to use each one
This video will show the different work item attributes are and how to customize them to fit your needs.
- Learn the different issue attributes
- Learn how to use the different attributes
- Learn how to customize the attributes
This video will show how to use your backlog to get all of that work defined, prioritized, and refined.
- Learn what a backlog is
- Learn how to organize and prioritize your backlog
- Learn how to get your backlog refined
This video will show how to run your Sprints with a board and how to use the columns and Swimlanes.
- Learn what a JIRA board is
- Learn how to use your board
- Learn how to customize your board
Running Your Project in JIRA
This video will show how use the backlog to refine work, plan and then begin your Sprint iteration.
- Learn how to create a Sprint
- Learn how to make sure work is ready for a Sprint
- Start your Sprint
This video shows how to use JIRA to keep the team all on the same page and know if you are on track to meet your commitment.
- Use JIRA for the daily scrum
- Confirm that all work is visible to everyone for high alignment
- Use burndowns for tracking progress against the team commitment
This video shows how to optimize your Sprint work items for your team.
- Learn the different methods of breaking down actionable work
- Learn if you should use smaller stories or tasks to organize
- Learn what works best for your team and your work
This video shows how to end a Sprint and what to do with any undone work.
- Learn how to know if your Sprint is finished
- Learn how to close your Sprint
- Learn what to do with work items that are not completed at the end of the Sprint
This video is about versions and how to use them to create releases that meet your milestones.
- Learn what versions and releases are
- Learn how to assign items to a version
- Learn how to do a release
This video is about burndown reports, how to read them and what data can be used to populate them.
- Learn what a burndown report is
- Learn how to read a burndown report
- Learn what data can be used to populate a burndown
This video talks about Sprint reports, how to read them and how you can use them to highlight team wins.
- Learn what a Sprint report is
- Learn how to read a Sprint report
- Learn how to use a Sprint report to broadcast team accomplishments
This video talks about velocity charts, how to read them and how to use the data to get insights about your team performance.
- Learn what a velocity chart is
- Learn how to read a velocity chart
- Learn how to use a velocity chart to estimate future Sprint commitments
This video shows how to release and epic burndowns, how to read them and how to use them to estimate deliveries.
- Learn what a release burndown is
- Learn how to read a release burndown
- Learn how to use a release burndown to estimate delivery of a Release
This video speaks about version and epic reports, how to read them and how to use them to estimate deliveries.
- Learn what a version report is
- Learn how to read a version report
- Learn how to use a version report to estimate delivery of a Release
Searching and Filtering on Issues
This video speaks about what JQL is, how to write queries in JIRA using the simple and advanced editors and how to export your results.
- Learn what JQL is
- Learn how to write queries in JIRA
- Learn how to export results
This video show to how to save your query into a filter, how to set permissions and manage them.
- Learn what a filter is
- Learn how to set rights for filters
- Learn how to manage your filters
This video shows how to make bulk changes so that you can change the attributes or move many items at once in JIRA.
- Learn why you might use a bulk change
- Execute a bulk change
- Confirm that you made a bulk change correctly
This video tells us how to visualize the results of a filter with a new custom board.
- Learn why you might want a new board
- Create a board
- Learn how to use your new custom board
Dashboards and Widgets
This video shows what a dashboard is, why you would want to use one and how to create it.
- Learn what a dashboard is
- Learn how to create a dashboard
- Learn how to manage your created dashboards
This video tells what a gadget is, check some example gadgets that the author thinks are useful, how to add them and configure for your own use.
- Learn what gadget is
- Learn how to add a gadget
- Learn how to configure a gadget
This video shows how to distribute the dashboard that you created so team performance is visible to all stakeholders.
- Learn how to share a dashboard