How to teach your child to think like an ENTREPRENEUR
Do you wonder what future awaits our children with the current global economic crisis?
I do. And I wonder if there is something I can do differently as a parent to equip my daughters with the skills required to survive and thrive in an economy where most of the jobs that will be available to them when they leave school might not even exist yet.
We are on economic quicksand, the dream of the corner office and the gold watch and the pension are gone.
We need to move quickly and smartly, we need to adapt to the change that is being forced onto us.
Ready or not, the “connection age” is here and the rules have changed.
If your child is old enough to be in school, he or she is old enough to start learning how to be a successful entrepreneur.
Teaching your child how to implement good business skills and creativity will be immeasurably valuable skills for the future.
Of course, not all children will be interested in entrepreneurship, but giving your child the opportunity to discover the world of business early in life is a wise and lasting gift.
Entrepreneurs are not born, they are made. The key skills can and should be taught.
We need to teach our children to care enough about their dreams to develop the judgment, skills and attitudes to make them come true.
Give it a try. Your child’s future depends on it!
In this lecture we will discuss what the course will cover.
1. Global economic crisis – what can you do as a parent?
2. Connection age has changed the way people interact and do business.
3. Entrepreneurial skills can be taught, you don’t need to be an expert yourself to teach your child.
4. Skills taught during the course are useful in corporate as well as entrepreneurial ventures.
5. During the course, you will learn simple yet effective methods to get you and your child thinking differently - thinking like entrepreneurs.
In this lecture we will discuss safety and touch on the implications of your child earning money.
1. This is not a “get rich quick course”
2. Protect your child with any business venture they decide to embark on.
3. Your first priority must always your child's safety.
4. True for a business that involves people interaction as much as it is true for any online business.
5. Make sure you know about the tax implications of your child earning money.
In this lecture we will introduce the topics we will cover and discuss why you should consider teaching your child how to think like an entrepreneur
1. The Internet enables completion on an equal platform, a game changer.
2. There are plenty of opportunities in the ‘real’ world, the business does not have to be Internet-based.
3. Every entrepreneur is different because we all have different skills.
4. You don’t have to know everything about entrepreneurship in order to transfer the entrepreneurship bug to your child.
5. We will use practical examples to inspire the entrepreneur inside YOUR child.
In this lecture we will discuss curiosity and why it matters. The lecture includes simple yet practical ideas to grow this skill in your child.
1. A deep sense of wonder and appreciation of how and why things work is an invaluable skill.
2. Dr John Demartini maintains that the quality of your life is based on the quality of the questions you ask.
3. Curiosity and the desire to learn, improve and create have been behind many great success stories.
4. Remember that you are your child's best teacher.
5. How to teach – please refer to the Course Downloads to access the comprehensive list of suggestions.
In this lecture we will discuss the importance of being able to read and write. The lecture includes simple yet practical ideas to grow this skill in your child.
1. Our economy grows based on the exchange of ideas and that fails if we stop reading.
2. Encourage your child to practise writing regularly.
3. How to teach writing – please refer to the Course Downloads to access the comprehensive list of suggestions
4. Reading for pleasure and information develops reading interests and allows children to practice their reading skills in meaningful ways.
5. Let your children see you reading books on your own in order to set a good example.
6. How to teach reading – please refer to the Course Downloads to access the comprehensive list of suggestions
In this lecture we will discuss why creativity matters. The lecture includes simple yet practical ideas to grow this skill in your child.
1. Creativity is a learned skill
2. Build confidence by explaining that failure is just a learning experience and nothing is impossible.
3. Creativity provides a steady stream of ideas and innovations to help navigate the realities of running a business once the idea has become a reality.
4. Teaching creativity is a continual process where you need to model the behaviour you want them to imitate.
5. How to teach creativity – please refer to the Course Downloads to access the comprehensive list of suggestions
In this lecture we will discuss how to develop self-discipline and focus. The lecture includes simple yet practical ideas to grow this skill in your child.
1. One of the best and crucial things your child can learn is self-motivation.
2. An incredible amount of discipline, commitment, focus and dedication is required to take an idea and convert it into a profitable business.
3. Helping children to develop self-discipline, effective focus strategies and concentration skills at an early age is a basis for long-term success.
4. How to teach self-discipline and focus – please refer to the Course Downloads to access the comprehensive list of suggestions
In this lecture we will discuss how to develop effective communication skills. The lecture includes simple yet practical ideas to grow this ability in your child.
1. Social media and text messaging have contributed to the steady decline in face-to-face and telephone communication.
2. Whenever you go out with your children, for example to a restaurant, a grocery store or a clothing store, talk about the service you received. Was it good, bad or indifferent?
3. Encourage your kids to always be on the lookout for solutions. By solving problems, you create opportunities.
4. Talk to your children about business-related concepts.
5. You can have brilliant ideas, but if you can’t get them across to the listener, they won’t get you anywhere.
6. How to teach effective communication – please refer to the Course Downloads to access the comprehensive list of suggestions.
In this lecture we will discuss how to really listen. The lecture includes simple yet practical ideas to grow this ability in your child.
1. How well you listen has a major impact on your career effectiveness and on the quality of your relationships with others.
2. The way to become a better listener is to practice "active listening."
3. Your children will learn a great deal from being able to close their mouths and open their ears.
4. Every business is created to solve a problem or address a need and listening can be a useful tool to unlock the perfect business opportunity.
5. How to teach effective listening skills – please refer to the Course Downloads to access the comprehensive list of suggestions.
In this lecture we will discuss how to manage time. The lecture includes simple yet practical ideas to grow this ability in your child.
1. Without clear goals, the days and weeks just seem to slip by and in 5 years’ time, you might wake up and find yourself no closer to your goal than where you are now.
2. Make small steps every day in the direction of your goals, the steps will add up and make all the difference.
3. Time management is a skill that can be taught and learned.
4. Children need time to play and it is essential that there is plenty of time for fun and for free, unstructured play.
5. How to teach time management – please refer to the Course Downloads to access the comprehensive list of suggestions.
In this lecture we will discuss how pocket money. The lecture includes simple yet practical ideas to use the pocket money concept to develop important financial skills in your child.
1. When your child works for his or her pocket money, it’s more likely that they will develop good personal finance skills, which are essential to learn before embarking on entrepreneurial efforts.
2. Star Charts are a great way to keep track of how often your child is doing their jobs and also for them to see at a glance what needs doing every day.
3. Provide three jars for children when you give them pocket money: one for spending, one for saving and one for charity.
4. One of the most important rules to teach children about money is never to spend more than you have.
5. Try a few of the suggestions and then modify until it works for your family. This is not about fitting into a prescribed way of doing things. Rather, it is about exploring what works best for your family.
6. How to teach pocket money management – please refer to the Course Downloads to access the comprehensive list of suggestions.
In this lecture we will discuss how to deal with debt. The lecture includes simple yet practical ideas to manage debt which will be invaluable for your child.
1. At the foundation of your children’s financial intelligence should be this undeniable truth: It is not the amount of money you have, but what you do with it that matters.
2. If you start a pattern of losing control, after a while your money will control you.
3. Discuss how advertisers persuade people to buy their products, and encourage your children to be savvy about commercials.
4. Let your child see you planning your budget, paying bills, shopping carefully, and planning major expenditures and vacations.
5. Show your child how to track their spend using a notebook or an excel spread-sheet to track where their money goes.
6. Credit card rules are simple: Never use a credit card to pay for something because you do not have enough money.
7. Debt-free is a wonderful way to live as it will leave them free to live life on their terms.
8. How to teach debt management – please refer to the Course Downloads to access the comprehensive list of suggestions.
Take this quiz to see how ready you are to teach your child how to think like an entrepreneur!
Thank you for taking the time to make a difference in the life of your child!
Please send me feedback or comments on the progress of the idea implementation in your home, I'd love to know how you progress along the road to teaching you child how to think like an entrepreneur!