Roadmap to Leadership
Leadership skills and behaviors have been studied and written about for many years. And it’s intense! But, you’re in luck! You don’t have to read all that research because we’ve sifted it down to the most important elements that truly elevate your leadership abilities.
- Transform your behavior, your thinking and your actions. All of which will help you to better serve your team when facing leadership challenges that require courage, empathy and decisiveness.
- In this course, you will learn to recognize several different leadership styles and which leadership approach is best to use with your team, based on the team’s level of competency and commitment, not just yours.
- There is a huge difference between being a manager and being a leader and BOTH are important to an organization. Do you know the difference? You will after completing this course! Most people tend to manage rather than lead and you need a balance for both.
- What happens when there is conflict among team members under your leadership? Learn how to recognize the stages of conflict and how to resolve issues quickly and easily.
- Lateral leadership is often overlooked in leadership development, but this is the prep stage for future formal leaders and you need to become adept at it yourself, then be able to coach others to become good lateral leaders.
- Be deliberate in your leadership, not accidental. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Do something different. Earn the credibility and level of respect you deserve!
Throughout the course you will complete exercises that will help you strengthen your own skills. Some of the exercises will be for the business owner or top leader and some will be for the leader/manager. But even if you don’t fit into ANY of those categories, you can complete the exercises using your colleagues as your team.
So Who Am I and why should you take this course?
I’m Donna Galatas, CEO of The Galatas Group. We are a Human Resources coaching company and we specialize in working with start-up and small businesses who need help building a strong culture.
Together with my business partner, Jackie Torres, we have over 40 years of experience as corporate and field HR leaders working with organizations of all sizes, including Fortune 500 companies.
Now, as business owners ourselves, we are excited to bring our expertise to you. This course is designed to help you master your role as leader.
Let’s get started—sign up now!
|Intro to the course topic|
|Who we are and why we created the course and overview of what the course will cover|
|How Good are Your Leadership Skills?|
What Makes An Effective Leader?
|What are the benefits of having strong leaders and what do they contribute to their organization?|
|Are leaders born, not made? Examination of the Traits Approach to leadership|
|Examination of the two behavioral groups that define leaders|
|Understand how situations impact a leader's effectiveness|
|How do these leadership approaches fit together?|
|Identify 3-5 of your own leadership behaviors using the section framework|
Leadership vs Management
|Understanding what differences and similarities leaders and managers have|
|Deeper dive into examining what leaders and managers contribute to organizations|
|Review of an organization which focused on management behaviors over leadership behaviors|
|Rate yourself as a leader or manager|
Key elements of your leadership style
The evolution of leadership over the last 30 years and introduction to various styles
Defining 7 leadership styles on the leadership spectrum
Identify your leadership style(s) and opportunities for improvement
Leading a Team
How leadership styles affect teamwork through motivation
Compare McGregor's Theory X & Y using 5 categories
Determine where your organization and where you fit within Theory X & Y and establish the direction for the future
How to identify your team's state of readiness to follow you as the leader
Identifying an individual's level of readiness by assessing Competency & Commitment
Assess your team's level of readiness
Expectations and Conflict
Using influencing skills and managing expectations
4 stages of conflict development and 4 responses to address conflict
Examine a real-life situation to determine your awareness of team expectations and root cause of any conflict
Definition and appropriate use of this skill
The Story of Call Center Bob and his new lateral leadership role
Understanding the benefits of lateral leadership and how to use it as an engagement process
The components and 5 step process to follow
Identify opportunities for lateral leadership in your role and in your organization
When Leadership Goes Wrong
Examples of fallen leaders
Examine the impact of fallen leaders to an organization
Examine 3-5 leaders you personally know who have failed and identify reasons
Examples of leaders who remain role models & the keys to success
Examine 3-5 leaders you personally know who remain successful and identify reasons
Additional resources to further explore leadership understanding and guidance