Serverless Web Development on AWS Using Lambda
If you are a developer and want to dive right into developing serverless web applications, or a DevOps professional keen to learn how to manage serverless web applications, then this video is a must-have guide.
In this course, through practical working examples, you will learn about the serverless concepts and AWS Lambda’s serverless framework and how to work with its components effectively. The primary goal of serverless apps is to reduce backend clutter and to focus on the code and not on the server. We will show you how to build popular applications that follow this principle.
This course guides you through a faster way to learn the skills you’ll need to utilize AWS Lambda’s serverless infrastructure.
About the Author
Harish Garg, the founder of BignumWorks Software LLP, is a data scientist and a lead software developer with 17 years’ software industry experience. BignumWorks is an India-based software consultancy that provides consultancy services in software development and technical training. Harish has worked for McAfeeIntel for 11+ years. He is an expert in creating data visualizations using R, Python, and web-based visualization libraries.
Mithun Lakshmanaswamy of BignumWorks Software LLP has been developing applications in Python for 9+ years. He has written enterprise-level distributed applications that are deployed on scores of servers and have the ability to support thousands of users simultaneously. Some of the applications he has developed are used to parse millions of virus definitions, analyze network packets from an enterprise setup, and so on. He is also proficient in teaching technical concepts and is quite involved with his current organization’s training programs. He has worked on multiple projects with Python, AWS, and so on, implementing the concepts of concurrent and distributed computing.
Setting Up Your AWS Environment
This video provides an overview of the entire course.
Introduce Amazon Web Services. See how to create a new user account and how to activate your AWS account.
• Introduce Amazon Web Services
• Learn how to create a new user account with 12 months of free AWS credit
• Activate the AWS account
Look around the newly created AWS account.
• Explore the services that AWS provides
• Take a glance at the billing dashboard
• Discuss the AWS regions
Set up the development environment and discuss the software needed to follow along the code examples in this course.
• Set up the development environment
• Spot the software needed to follow the course
Getting Started with Serverless Programming with AWS Lambda
Understand what we mean by serverless applications and the benefits of building applications on a serverless platform.
• Understand serverless applications
• Explore the benefits of building applications on a serverless platform
• Discuss the AWS serverless platform
Learn what AWS Lambda is, how it works, and its main features.
• Study AWS lambda
• Understand how it works
• Explore its main features
Create a new lambda function on AWS, walk through the various parts of the function, and execute the function.
• Create a new lambda function on AWS
• Walk through its various segments
• Execute it by creating and running a test event
Demonstrate how to upload a locally developed function to AWS Lambda and configure it.
• Develop a function locally
• Upload to AWS Lambda
• Save and configure the Lambda function
Developing the Serverless Backend
Demonstrate user management in AWS.
• Introduce the AWS user management console
• Provide access rights to users
• Demo creation of a user
Learn to setup a serverless database on AWS.
• Introduce AWS DynamoDB
• Create tables in DynamoDB
• Add data to DynamoDB tables
Show what IAM Roles are, how to set them up, and how to use them.
• Understand IAM Roles
• Explore the purpose of IAM Roles
• Create an IAM Role
Demonstrate Lambda functions and how to create them.
• Introduce Lambda functions
• Create a Lambda function
• Test a Lambda function
Deploying the Serverless Web App
Learn to create and deploy an API in AWS Gateway for accessing Lambda functions through the web app.
• Introduce API Gateway on AWS
• Create a new API
• Deploy the API
Change the web app code to connect to the API.
• Walk through the web app
• Get the values from the API for the API key and region ID
• Modify the code to add the values
Test the web app as it uses the AWS serverless backend.
• Demo of the web app
• Test the web app to ensure that it works well, and connect to AWS
Clean the AWS account to avoid using unnecessary resources.
• Understand the importance of removing unnecessary resources from AWS
• Delete the resources and clean the AWS account